Re: Disk partitioning - recommended sizes

|"You might want something like the following:
|"
|"  50MB /

Is 50 Mb enough ?

|" 100MB /var
|" 250MB /var/spool
|" 250MB /tmp
|" 500MB /usr
|" 750MB /usr/local
|" 100MB swap
|"
|"You can then mount / and /usr as read-only.  I assume you meant /home by
|""user data".

Yes, that's correct. I occasionally `abuse' /home by storing backups etc.
there.

|"If you find yourself that worked up over swap partitions, I'd just like to
|"say that counseling really does help.

But it's guarantueed to break the ice at parties.

|"Oh, and 250MB is rather small for /var/spool, but if you're not getting
|"alt.binaries.* or alt.sex.*, then it might work.  For a day or two...

I forgot to mention that this is my personal machine, which will get its
(small) newsfeed by UUCP and is only occasionally connected to the Internet
by means of PPP. My current spool is 50 Mb, which is just about enough for a
weeks worth of data.

|"Shrinking /usr/local and increasing /var/spool might be a good idea.  Oh,
|"I wouldn't make /usr any less than 300MB unless you're a masochist.  I
|"remember when 200MB worked fine for a full slackware installation, but
|"those days are long gone.  The kernel source itself takes up almost 40MB
|"now.  Add emacs, X, and some libraries...  nasty.

Adding emacs is indeed nasty. For Debian at work, I made a nice partitioning
scheme (or so I thought) of 250 Mb /, and 250 Mb /usr. I ended up by making
additional directories in / to hold spillover stuff from /usr. This wreaks
havocs on quite a number of symbolic links.
-
Ronald van Loon (ronald@and.nl)

"I am waiting as fast as I can! I want patience, and I want it *NOW*!"
                                                     - Bethany J. Parkhurst