Re: ttyS0 timeout errors....

Thanks for your response!

> From: Jens B. Jorgensen <jjorgens@bdsinc.com>
> To: Kevin Traas <KTraas@uniserve.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: ttyS0 timeout errors....
> Date: Wednesday, January 08, 1997 7:30 AM
>
> Kevin Traas wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of configuring a box here in my home in preparation
for
> > a drop-in replacement of another box (running RedHat...<grin>....) at a
> > remote location.
> >
> > The RedHat box is simply acting as a router between an ethernet LAN and
> > dedicated (no modems) CSLIP connection to an ISP.
> >
> > Anyway, the problem I've run into is that I've pretty much got the new
> > Debian (1.2) box configured; however, I'm getting the following error
> > message on the console after booting the system:
> >
> > sl0:  transmit timed out, bad line quality?
> >
> > There is nothing attached to the serial port; however, I am starting up
> > "slattach" and running "ifconfig" in order to configure the interface.
> > Everything seems to come up fine....
> >

> Umm, I'm lost here. There's nothing attached to the serial port
> but you're using slattach and ifconfig to configure the interface?
> What interface? What's the slip running over if not the serial port.

That's right.  I've got the adapter coming off the IO card to a DB25 on the
back of the box; however, nothing is attached to the DB25 (yet).  But
slattach and ifconfig shouldn't care about that should it?  You're right in
that slip isn't actually running yet - that won't happen until I bring the
box out to the remote site and drop it in place of the existing RedHat box.
 But I've got the software configured now  even though no traffic is
possible.  I've done this on the existing box and it hasn't complained at
all.  This is a first for me.

> > The error messages start after "ifconfig".  Starting "slattach" by
itself
> > doesn't result in any error messages.  If I run "ifconfig sl0 down",
the
> > messages go away.
> >

> Yes, this will certainly get rid of messages concerning the interface
> sl0, and it will also make it so no packets are sent to this interface
> as well.

Right.  I knew that.  I was just clarifying that I had determined that the
messages were coming as a result of the interface being up and not due to
slattach.  However, when the interface is up, running ifconfig shows no
packets sent or received (obviously, since there's nothing on the other
end) - yet I'm getting those errors.

> > BTW, "setserial" finds the ports without any problems during bootup....
> >
> > Any ideas as to why I might be getting this message and how I might fix
it
> > would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst