Newbie 1.1.1 Install Problem...

Repeated attempts to boot from the debian 1.1.1 boot floppy last
night produced the same results each time -- I could get to the boot:
prompt ok, but after pressing enter, the screen would fill with
numbers in square brackets, scrolling endlessly with 10 second pauses
after every few screenfuls. The first three groups of numbers were
interspersed with some other multi-line message, but I couldn't figure
out any way to stop the scrolling to read it.

I have the InfoMagic "Linux Developer's Resource 6-CD set. My system
is a Cyrix 5x86 100Mhz, with 32megs RAM and a 400 meg disk partition,
(just vacated from NT 4.0). I have a PAS16 audio card, an Adaptec 1542
SCSI adapter, which has connected to it a 1.2 Gig SCSI drive (all
filled up), a SCSI Zip drive, an HP ScanJet IIC, and a NEC internal
SCSI cdrom drive (2X). I also have an internal IDE drive and internal
IDE cdrom drive (6X), and that 400 meg partition I want to use for
Linux is located on the IDE drive. (Modem btw is a "plug-n-play"
Zoom/ComStar DSVD 28800 internal, which I highly doubt will work with
Linux, as it won't work either with NT.)

I currently have the SCSI HD partitioned into D: and E:, and the IDE
partitioned also into two drives C: and what would be F: although it
had NTFS on it, so is not visible to DOS currently.

I did notice the boot commands on the help screen which are needed for
Adaptec 1542 cards, IDE hd's, and PAS16 sound cards. But how do I
enter more than one of these at the boot: prompt? When I type the
first one and press enter, it goes ahead with the loading... message,
and within seconds I begin to see the scrolling sets of numbers in
square brackets, as mentioned above.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but I'm trying to include whatever might be
helpful info to diagnosing what is going wrong here. I've  spent
several hours on it last night and today, and am still determined to get
Linux up and running here. <g>

Thanks for any help.
Jim B.