Re: PCMCIA problem on Toshiba Satellite Pro 410 CDT

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to install Debian on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 410 CDT with a 3Com
> Etherlink III PCMCIA network adapter.  I wanted to install Debian using NFS but
> the installation disks do not seem to recognize my PCMCIA-adapter (it doesn't
> even start thinking about the pcmcia network adapter).  Does anybody know how
> to install Debian on this machine.  I really don't feel like putting everything
> on disks :-) and I do not have a CDROM distribution.

Exactly what do you have installed?  I installed on a couple of
Tecra laptops by putting base on a dos formatted partition I
later used for swap.  I only needed to have the two floopies and
mount the dos partition.  I also put the pcmcia-modules and
pcmcia-cs packages on the same partition so I only had to do a
dpkg -i on those packages and I had networking!  I used dselect's
ftp method to do the rest of the install, where I grabbed
pcmcia-source so I could mess around with custom kernels of
various revs and recompile the pcmcia modules.

The important thing to tell you about this setup is to _not_
configure the network in the dinstall process.  That will only
confuse the pcmcia startup.  Let the pcmcia package take care of
configuring the network.

Good luck.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com