Re: kernel 2.0.27

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Fundamental wrote:

> Okay ive compiled my new kernel, made it bootable from a kickstart disk
> and tried booting - problem, i get a kernel panic.  So i just stuck in my
> old 2.0.0 kickstart and she booted up fine.
>
> Im pretty sure the problem is that the new kernel doesnt know which
> partition to load at boot time, i *think* its trying to load the wrong
> one.
>
> I know i can fix this by running rdev, but how do i run an rdev on a
> kernel that wont boot?

You run rdev against the kernel image file (vmlinux, zImage, bzimage).
When you build a kernel from pristine source you will find the kernel in
arch/i386/boot. I build zImage so if you:

rdev <path-to-sourcetree>/arch/i386/boot

the reply will tell you what device the kernel thinks it is supposed to
boot from. Adding the desired path to the above command will change the
kernels mind to match your expectations.

Luck,

Dwarf