Re: Is there a Diald Guru in the House?

Kevin Traas wrote:

> I'm trying to get Diald cofigured on my Linux 1.2.1 box and am running into
> some problems I'm hoping you can help me with.....
>
> Here's what I'm experiencing:
>
> I've got debugging turned on and from "/var/log/messages" I'm finding the
> following: (I'm happy with the first two lines; however, I think the
> following two are a problem....>
>
> local IP address a.b.c.y
> remote IP address a.b.c.z
> ppp not replacing existing default route to sl0[a.b.c.z]

As the others who posted responses to this have said:
the documentation that indicates a number of options you
should not use in your ppp options file. Diald passes these options
itself. Here's an excerpt from the diald(8) man page:

       When diald is being used in PPP mode extra options can b
        passed on to pppd by specifying them after a "--" on  the
       command  line.   This  should not normally be necessary as
       default options can be placed  into  the  /etc/ppp/options
       file.  But,  if you need to run multiple instances of pppd
       with different options then you will have to make  use  of
       this  ability.   Note that some pppd options should not be
       specified, not even in the /etc/ppp/options file,  because
       they  will  interfere  with the proper operation of diald.
       In particular you should not specify the tty  device,  the
       baud  rate,  nor  any  of  the  options  crtscts, xonxoff,
       -crtscts, defaultroute,  lock,  netmask,  -detach,  modem,
       local, mtu and proxyarp.  Use the equivalent diald options
       to control these pppd settings.

> Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

Are you using proxy-arp? If you don't have an ethernet connection
on your machine you don't need this.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com