Re: What is debian base install 1.2?

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, James Boorn wrote:

> I know it's a linux dist.
> But I what I want to know is what is in the base install and what versions?
> For example what kernel version, is XFree86 in the base install if so
> what version, what shells, etc..

The base install is a minimal set of packages. Only what is absolutely
necessary to boot up and install the rest of your system. You can find the
packages that are installed in the base in any Debian mirror under
binary-i386/base, which will tell you which version of the packages are
there. The kernel supplied with 1.2 is 2.0.27. The default shell is Bash,
but if you install the rest of the system you get to choose between
several shells (look in binary-i386/shells to see what is available).
Another good place for information is the Contents file and the Packages
files. Contents has a list of all files in the distribution noting what
package that file can be found in. The Packages file contains information
of the packages themselves.

Luck,

Dwarf