Re: Help: problem with booting from HD

R <ray@cs.umb.edu> wrote:

 > i made
 > four primary partition (500mb for linux native, 500mb for linux native,
 > 64mb for linux swap, and 900somethinb mb for DOS-32 bit) and marked all
 > but the linux swap as bootable.  Install went thru without problem.

  This is a serious error: only _one_ partition may be marked bootable.
If cfdisk let you do this, report this as an error to it's author. I
doubt if LILO cares very much, but W95 would probably choke, and anyway
it's against the specifications. Your best bet is to mark the W95
partition as bootable, and the others not.

  Just to make sure: you _did_ turn on Large mode (or LBA mode) in your
BIOS setup of your harddisk, didn't you? Both LILO and W95 need to use
BIOS to load themselves, and using BIOS you can't access cylinders
greater than 1024. The above modes fix this problems, and Linux can
handle them in it's own drivers as well.

 > Now the problem is I can't boot from the hard drive.  I can boot from the
 > custom boot floopy without problem, and log in as root, etc, and /dev/hda
 > is already mounted at that point.  I did du and see that the install used
 > about 15MB, which i assume is correct.  if i do shutdown, and reset the pc
 > or turn off and back on the pc, it will produce various kinds of errors.
 > most of the time it will get as far as "lilo, uncompress linux" and give
 > me a "crc error -- system halt"  and at that point I can't even
 > alt-ctrl-del.

  Boot from floppy again, go to the mounted harddisk, and check
/etc/lilo.conf. (If you can't fix the problems, include this file in
your next post). If it is ok, rerun LILO thus (assuming your /dev/hda1
is mounted on /mnt): lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf (or, if lilo isn't
present on your boot floppy, /mnt/sbin/lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf).
Your /etc/lilo.conf should look something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
delay=50

image=/vmlinuz
 label=Linux
 read-only

other=/dev/hda4
 label=W95
 table=/dev/hda

The image= should of course point at your kernel. Note that the W95
installation program will overwrite the MBR that LILO installs, so after
installing W95 you'll have to boot from floppy again and rerun LILO.

  You may also want to try Boot Control (see address in my sig). It
comes with documentation that describes the boot process a bit better.
You'd still need LILO, but you could then install it to the Linux
partition's boot sector (i.e., change the above boot=/dev/hda to
boot=/dev/hda1).

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>