Re: kernel 2.0.27

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Ryan Shaw wrote:

ryans >before writing the new kernel to disk or running lilo on it go into
ryans >/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot or some similar path (can't remember exactly
ryans >what it is at the moment) and find the zImage file.  then do a `rdev
ryans >zImage' to see which partition the kernel is pointing to.  if it is
ryans >pointing to the wrong partition then point it to the correct one.  i'm not
ryans >sure of the syntax as i've never had this problem before but `man rdev'
ryans >should help you out.
ryans >

I checked, my zImage is pointing to the right partition., /dev/sda1

This is the procedure i went through to make my kernel

make config
make dep ; make clean
make zdisk
make modules
make modules_install
cp the zimage file to fd0
reboot

then i get a kernel panic and the new 2.0.27 kernel dies, its final words
being 'can not mount root file system'

????

Im out like bell bottom trousers,

michael

A person with one watch knows what time it is,
a person with two watches isn't sure.