Re: A proposal to improve dselect

>I have a really radical suggestion, and that is to split off the
>installation process from dselect. Have a dinstall and rename dselect to
>dmanager or something. Then make dinstall a much simpler, less
>featureful tool, that offers to install groups of packages to fit
>various usages. One of my favorite installation tools is the simple one

I think that this is a great idea.  One of the things that keeps Slackware
alive is that fact that it is *so* easy to install (even if it is buggy and
a nightmare to maintain).

If there were a way to install debian, easily, so that the beginner could
do it then it would be really nice.  Just group packages into basic groups
and make the dependacy selections for them.  If they need something else to
run the package they need then just install it for them and don't bother
telling them.

I think the most important thing that that they can get it up and running
with as few headaches and confusing messages as possible.

Once the system is installed then they can go on to dselect (or dpkg) to
fine tune which packages they want, *after* they have it working.

Adam.