Re: PPP and Mount

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Help.
>
> I am a new Linux user, and fairly non-fluent with UNIX also.  I am aspiring
> though.  Anyway, I am going through pure agony trying to get my version of
> Linux running.
>
> I thought I would try to do a FTP install, but I can't get it to dial out.
> I don't even know where to start.  Next, I tried downloading the whole
> thing.  That met with limited success.  I can't figure out how to mount my
> VFAT partition.  I tried the following.
>
> 	mount -t vfat /dev/hdd1/mnt

That line should read: mount -t vfat /dev/hdd1 /mnt
                                              ^
                                              |__ [note the space]

Are you sure it's hdd1?  That means it's the slave device on the 2nd IDE
controller.  Also, you cannot be in the /mnt directory (I think) when you
try to mount or unmount (the 'umount' command).

> How can I do an FTP install?  I can't dial out through my modem?

Do you have ppp installed?  If so, you should be able to dial out.  You
can type "dpkg -s ppp" to see if it is installed.

Syrus.