Re: Problem with dselect...

On Mon, 06 Jan 1997 23:28:47 +0100 Dipl.-Ing. A.Tack
(ib09@ttk1.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de) wrote:

> I have a problem with dselect on my system. I tried a fresh install of
> 1.2 on my system an selected all packages I wanted.
>
> When finished I found that all packages in non-free did not get installed.
> (for example xv or tkman)
>
> Any ideas why this happened and does there exist a workaround for
> this other than using dpkg to install what I want??

This is probably because dselect runs the install in four passes, one for standard debian, one for contrib, one for non-free and one for local packages. If one of the stages fail (because a package isn't installed correctly), the subsequent passes aren't run.

Check that all installed packages are correctly configured. Run (C)onfigure from dselect, or ``dpkg --pending --configure''. Fix the problem(s), then re-run (I)nstall.

If the above fails (because of an unconfigurable broken package), try ``dpkg -iGROEB <path-to-the-non-free-directory>'' (typically /cdrom/non-free, after mounting the CD-ROM), like dselect would do.

Phil.