Re: No ftp? Have I missed something?

> Um, how am I supposed to connect to the ftp site if I don't have ftp?  Heck,
> I don't have any inet capabilities except for ping!  Maybe I missed
> something in the documentation, but it appears that have a pretty useless
> system installed here.  Is there someplace I can look that will actually
> tell me how to set Debian up?  I swear, this is really annoying.  I have
> installed many complicated OS in my life, but this takes the cake :(  Does
> everyone go through this crap, or did I get defective files or something? *sigh*

  If you got no ftp, that means you don't have the netstd package... which is
in section net.  You need netstd, and netbase... if memory serves.  If you
do have the binaries, and the setup isn't working... try reading the HOWTO
for networking NET2-HOWTO.  The basics are, that after you have the basic
net tools... you need to configure the communications layer the network is
to communicate through... PPP, SLIP for dial up or ethernet, tokenring,
loopback or whatever communications services your net requires.  To be able to
see if your network is working, you should be able to use the loopback device
to telnet or ftp your own machine... to do that, you need to register those
services within your machine (as a server for those protocols), this is done
in the /etc/inetd.conf file... the lines that do this are:

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd    ftpd
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd telnetd
finger          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.fingerd fingerd

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
shell           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rshd    rshd
exec            stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rexecd  rexecd
login           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.rlogind rlogind
ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.talkd   talkd

  After you got the network working internally (loopback), you can prooceed
with setting up other communications layers.