Re: XWindows Login Screen

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 edwalter@usa.net wrote:

> > > I have the same problem here, so you're not alone. The files are fine,
> > > but xdm appears to ignore them...
> > >

> > The problem is that xdm uses xrdb to read these configuration files
> > in.  xrdb has been broken for a while.  It crashes if run with no
> > options.  My solution was to mv xrdb to xrdb.bin and create a shell
> > script named xrdb that run xrdb.bin with the -nocpp option.
> >

> Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem for me.  Maybe I didn't
> follow the instructions correctly.  The script file I put in xrdb is:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb.bin -nocpp
>
> I still do not get the proper login screen.  Maybe a bug report is in
> order?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carlo

I don't know about xrdb. But I had the same problem (XWindows instead of
Debian (Hostname)). It was solved in my case by running the Xserver with
16 bit. I tried it only a minute ago by changing it back and on my computer
the result with 8 bit is XWindows and with 16 bit is Debian. So try to set
your Xserver (if it is capable) in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to 16 bit mode by
appending -bpp 16. Here it helped but I don't know why :-|

			Greetings,

					Christian