RE: pdf files

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Wieboldt, David wrote:

> >This isn't debian specific, but what does it take to read/print pdf files
> >in linux?

> Wow I have an answer!
>
> Your choices are two:  1) xpdf or 2) Adobe acrobat.  If you just want to
> read single .pdf files, I would go for xpdf.  If you have a tree full of
> pdf files, then you will need Acrobat.

There is one BIG difference between acroread and xpdf.  xpdf is not able
to handle "encrypted" files.  (Look at most of the .pdf files on
www.microchip.com; xpdf won't touch most of them.  I've complained LOUDLY
to them, and they are slowly converting to unencrypted.)

You may HAVE to use acroread.

   |   This is OFFICIAL WRITTEN notification that I want to be REMOVED   |
   |   from ALL commercial mailing lists.  EVERY message sent from this  |
   | account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
   |     SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW.    |