suid problem

In the past few weeks I've had a lot of problems with various
binaries losing their suid bits. For example, I upgraded smail
to the latest (package), and started getting errors from smail
telling me it couldn't write to the paniclog. It wasn't suid,
as it should've been. A few people have told me in mail that
this is a Linux 2.1 bug.

However I spoke to someone on the kernel mailing list, and he
said that as far as he knew, it was a feature, and is
in most unixes and to his knowledge even Linux 2.0. To my
testing it is not in Linux 2.0, but it is in Solaris 5.5,
for example.

Is this a problem with regard to the debian package system?
It bothers me that my binaries are losing their suid
status quite often.

As an example;

[8:03pm] root@hamishpc:/usr/X11R6/bin# ls -l XF86_S3
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root      2025716 Nov 22 15:18 XF86_S3

[8:03pm] root@hamishpc:/usr/local/deb/x# dpkg -i xserver-s3_3.2-1.deb
(Reading database ... 22830 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xserver-s3 3.2-1 (using xserver-s3_3.2-1.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xserver-s3 ...
Setting up xserver-s3 (3.2-1) ...

[8:03pm] root@hamishpc:/usr/X11R6/bin# ls -l XF86_S3
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      2025716 Nov 22 15:18 XF86_S3

Now X won't run, of course.

Hmmmm, maybe there's a different problem. The SUID bit has been
lost on the above, and I'm running Linux 2.0.27 ... which doesn't
fail my usual test for this behaviour.

Any suggestions?

hamish