Re: Debian on Infomagic CD

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Karl Ferguson wrote:
>
> > The whole idea for the "non-free" area is that it belongs to programs with
> > difficult copyright notices such as it's not to be distributed etc.  I
> > seriously doubt that any CD manufacturer will include it on a distributed CD
> > because it may well break copyright laws.
> >
> This isn't exactly true.  A package can go into non-free if commercial
> use is not allowed.  A CD manufacturer can then put the package on the CD
> if they make a notice that commercial use is prohibited.  At least this
> is how I understand it.

My understanding is that producing a CD for sale (which I do) is a
commercial use of the software and therefore not allowed. Pine, on the
other hand, is in non-free, but I can distribute it because it's only
restriction is that I may not put pine on a CD with proprietary software
(this restriction is enough to place it in non-free). It is for each
re-distributor to decide which of these packages they can use. That is the
reason they are in non-free to begin with.

Luck,

Dwarf