Re: XWindows Login Screen

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 fols9488@uidaho.edu wrote:

> > Hello All:
> >
> > I just upgraded to XWindows 3.2 and now my xdm login screen does not show
> > the familiar "Debian Linux (hostname)" in CadetBlue but just "X Window
> > System" in unfriendly black!
> >
> > I have been looking through the X configuration files in /etc/X11 and
> > everything seems to be as it was before.  The Xresources files have the
> > colors properly listed, etc.  I am stumped!
> >
> > Can anyone out there point me in the right direction so I can look for
> > the cause of this vexing behaviour?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Carlo
> >

> This information is in the file(s) Xresources and Xresources_0 in /etc/X11/xdm.
>  Check the resources 'greetColor' and 'greeting'.

Indeed, that is what I meant above by saying that the configuration files
seem OK.  Both the Xresources files have valid entries in them for the
'greetColor' (CadetBlue) and 'greeting' (Debian Linux (CLIENTHOST)).
Clearly the configuration files are not the problem but  something else
must be set improperly.

Cheers

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.cns.iit.edu                      *