Stable unstability (was Re: modules 2.0.0-14)

At 12:17 PM 12/1/96 -0600, you wrote:

>>modules 2.0.0-14 has destroyed my System.  Every attempt to install a
>>module has created a kernel Oops. I had to build a new kernel with all
>>needed drivers linked in.  Downgrading to modules 2.0.0-13 solved this
>>Problem.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>
>Same here, with the same configuration.  Email me for details.
>Why does it seem so many drastic changes are being made to stable?
>For example, the PCMCIA package has been removed and apparently rolled
>up into the kernel-sources package.  Why?

I agree: why so many drastic changes are being made to stable? The new gzip
(in Debian 1.1.16 I think) depends on a libc5 that is not part of stable so
if users want to upgrade a package that is part of stable (this gzip),
they'll have to unstable and grab the libc5 package. Also, the last sendmail
seems to have problems.

Regards,

Eloy.-

--