Re: 2 lpd processes; extra processes - possibly related?

At 04:34 PM 11/30/96 -0800, you wrote:

>I am running a basically off the shelf debian installation that is about 2
>weeks old, so I haven't messed with it much.  The first oddity is that,
>upon close inspection of ps -aux, I note two copies of /usr/sbin/lpd
>running.  Any ideas why?  I poked through the rc* stuff, but not being
>real used to the layout (coming from slack 3.0), I don't notice anything
>particularly obvious.

Probably it's because there is something in the print queue (try the command
"lpq"  to see what's in the queue) If you see something try "lprm -" as root
to get rid of all jobs in the queue.

>The second thing that makes me curious is the fact that there seem to be a
>lot of processes going by that I am not able to follow.  What might they
>be?

Well, you are running X with a clock, a Windows Manager (fvwm), a couple of
X terms, a PPP connection, etc. It's normal to have this number of
processes, unless you're talking about something else.

Good luck.

Eloy.-

--

Eloy A. Paris