Re: MS WORD format

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Jean Orloff wrote:

>  Daniel> Does anyone know of a document reader/editor that will read
>  Daniel> Microsoft Word format?
>
> This is something I need once a week at least. In fact, it is my only reason
> for windows booting. So you can imagine how desperately I sought for such a
> software, but no! I couldn't believe it! Any hint welcome!

If all fails and formatting of the document is of no importance then it
might suffice to use "strings document.doc >document.txt" and read it with
your preferred editor. But with inlined images, tables and the more
fancier stuff this will fail. Alternatively you could ask to be given a
PostScript file instead which preserves all formatting and can be viewed
with 'ghostview'. \begin{ignorance} But that's probably too much a
difficulty to ask the average MS-Word user... \end{ignorance}.

                                                        P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/