can't open xconsole

Hello folks.

I am having a strange problem trying to have an xconsole window
working under my own login.  I use a .xsession file to set up
certain windows and apps I like to have available when I log in.

Seems that because I have this .xsession file in there, I cannot
get an xconsole window to work.  The window comes up, but in the
window is the message "Couldn't open console".  If I remove the
.xsession file, the xconsole comes up fine.  Here is the important
stuff from the .xsession file:

#!bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
xconsole -g 490x200-20-50 &

Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem?  A kind reader of
this group suggested I might need to define and export the DISPLAY
variable in my .bashrc, which I plan to try ASAP.  Any other ideas
out there?

TIA!

---
Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."