Re: Don't use Matrox cards (Was re:dosemu)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Miro Torrielli wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm currently using a Cirrus Logic GD5434, which works fine
> > with XFree in 8 bit mode, but produces streaks at higher bpp's. Anyway,
> > I'm getting a Matrox soon, a real speedster. Thanx for your time...
>
> IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
>
> If you plan to continue to use XFree, then I hope you don't buy a matrox
> video card.  They do not work with XFree and probably never will.

I'm not sure this is true.  What source gave you that
information?

> They don't give away the information on how to use their cards, so the
> only way XFree could use their cards would be if XFree signed a
> non-disclosure agreement with them, which is kind of hard when you give
> away the source code to your product.
>
> If you are willing to buy a commercail X server from X inside or Metro X then
> it shouldn't be a problem.  But then again you will have to install it by
> hand, because their is no debian package for it, and dpkg won't know
> about it.
>
> What might be good for you, is that if someone ever comes up with a
> rpm --> deb utility, you can buy a redhat cd, from cheapbuytes for around
> $30-40 and it comes with Metro X.  But if you wan't to be able to get all
> the source code for your programs you are still stuck.

Now I'm pretty sure this is not true.  Last time I checked,
redhat linux came with a beta version of the Metro X
software that was pretty buggy and very slow.  The same beta
was available from Metro X directly as well.  You don't have
to get it in .rpm format.  Accelerated X has a demo of their
server available too, and I don't think theirs is beta.

> Hope this helps,
>
> Shaya

You may be right on both counts, but I'd still like to be
sure.  Please let us know.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.