ftape format warning!!!

I had a nasty surprise using ftape to dump my filesystems for archival
right before repartitioning my hard drive.  I wanted to let people
know about this in case they were not already aware.

If you plan to dump several filesystems to one tape (that is, more than
one session on a tape) you need to erase the tape using mt FIRST!!!
Otherwise you will not be able to read any sessions beyond the first.

There were only two sessions on my tape.  Sadly, the second session
contained the /usr filesystem, so I lost everything :(

YMMV
---
Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."