Re: A few stupid(?) questions...

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:31:04 -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

>/usr/doc/fileutils.  You will see a file called "color-ls.gz" with more
>details.  Briefly, you can simply execute

Ah...that might explain why I don't get the 'ls -o' ability.  Didn't
realize
Debian just copied it in, and never bothered to install it. :)

>Also, it is a *bad* idea to execute mv's and ln's on files that have been
>installed with dselect and/or dpkg.  If you don't confuse the package
>management system, you'll confuse yourself when you try to upgrade or
>install new packages.  It is fine to manipulate files in /usr/local

Ah, ok.  I was wondering why there was a /usr/bin and a /usr/local/bin.
:)

Thanks.  This really explains a lot.  I've been using OS/2 and DOS for
long enough, that I've gotten used to just being able to install my
programs
wherever I saw fit.  (Besides, it makes it easy to confuse the hell out
of
anyone that tries to read my directory structures...it's organized for
me,
but everyone else gets lost. :))