Re: bash PATH, dselect and ftape

  Chris> 1. This question is more of a general bash question and if I
  Chris> shouldn't be posting it here someone let me know and I won't pester
  Chris> this group about it any more. All the following applies to the root
  Chris> account, I haven't checked it for an ordinary user yet.

[lots of stuff deleted]

Read the man pages for bash and xterm (or rxvt) and try to understand what
happens. You can have shells that are not login, they use ~/.bashrc. Every
"normal" (ie non-login) xterm reads this file _unless_ you tell xterm to be
start a login shell via the -ls option. Login shells read ~/.bash_profile.

  Chris> 2. I'm trying to add packages to my installation, among them lyx and
  Chris> mailcrypt and taper. Dselect complains that lyx needs the package
  Chris> xforms and mailcrypt needs pgp. However, I have downloaded both of
  Chris> these packages and told dselect about them. When it asks to

When you tell dselect about the directories, it wants to find the
Packages[.gz] file. You might have noticed the error message when that
failed.

If you only want to install three packages, why don't you just use dpkg -i ?

  Chris> 3. I can't find ftape anywhere. Does anyone know where to find this?

Since around 1.3.72, it is in the kernel sources in the directory
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape.  Just recompile your kernel (use "make
menuconfig" or "make xconfig" instead of make config).

Hope this helps, Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd