rlogin localhost

I tried to rlogin to my own machine, but got:

>rlogin localhost
localhost: Connection refused

Why was this?  Is there something I need to do to allow rlogin
connections, or doesn't it make sense to rlogin to localhost?
(Nor can I do telnet, finger or ftp - I can do ping though.)

Also, what is the relationship between a machine name and IP
addresses?  As I understand it, a single machine may have more than
one IP address if it is on several networks, and yet often the machine
name is an alias for one of these addresses - I'm a bit confused about
the role of the machine name.

Mark Phillips.  (mark@maths.flinders.edu.au)