Re: pine 3.94's Copyright

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> Why is this in non-free?  It sounds like they _want_ to be
> included in linux distributions!  What about this copyright
> is keeping it out of the Debian distribution?  I obviously
> need to familiarize myself with Debian's rules and regs, but
> it seems strange that this copyright is keeping pine in
> non-free.
>
> -------- included copyright from PINE3.94 -------------------

The primary reason, is that the version in non-free is 3.93.

The major difference that I can see between the 3.93 copyright and
the 3.94 one is in the following paragraph:

> Local modification of this release is permitted as follows, or by mutual
> agreement: In order to reduce confusion and facilitate debugging, we
> request that locally modified versions be denoted by appending the letter
> \"L\" to the current version number, and that the local changes be
> enumerated in the integral release notes and associated documentation.

The paragraph in the 3.93 version reads:

We request that any local modifications be denoted by appending the letter
\"L\" to the current version number, and that the changes be enumerated in
the integral release notes and associated documentation. Re-distribution
by for-profit organizations requires permission from the University of
Washington.

It is the last line of this paragraph that lands this package in non-free.

If there is nothing else troublesome about the new copyright (Bruce?) you
may look for 3.94 as soon as I can get some time to build it.

Luck,

Dwarf