Re: kernel-package and Lilo

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Kevin M Bealer wrote:

> I love the kernel-package thing; but the other day I used it to
> install a kernel and the vmlinuz.old kernel was not in boot (I deleted
> it accidentally).
>
> The system would not boot -- may I humbly suggest that the install
> process for the generated package checks if "lilo" returns an error
> and throws a warning if it does?
>
> (I'm thinking of the equiv. of "lilo (options) || echo Warning! blah
> blah")
>
> and/or could LILO be run in "verbose" mode?
>
> I suggest this because it would have saved me a lot of time..
>
> In other words: (please idiot proof this for my benefit :) )

Before I switched to using the kernel package scripts I had my own
'makelinux' and 'addlilo' scripts which performed a similar function.

addlilo added an appropriate entry to the end of /etc/lilo.conf and then
ran:

    lilo -t && lilo

i.e. 'lilo -t' tests the lilo config.  if it's OK then lilo is run.

maybe something like this (but expanded to provide useful warning/error
information) should be done in the debian kernel package script?

Craig