debian v1.1 probs

i hope this is the right place, if not please tell me where i should be
posting.

i've recently decided to switch to debian linux, i don't need to, my
current system is up to date and works well, but everything i've seen &
heard about debian has been really good, so i want to switch over.

i have had a few problems tho, and wanted to share them (with
suggestions).

the first problem was with the sound module.  for people with a true sb16,
the sound module makes a lot of noise (hissing).  when talking with hannu
about this in the past, he suggested using ``setmixer igain 0 ogain 0'',
which works great.

perhaps right after loading the sound module the install script it could
ask "do you hear a loud hiss from the speakers?"  and if the user answers
yes you could run /usr/bin/setmixer igain 0 ogain 0, then add

	post-install sound /usr/bin/setmixer igain 0 ogain 0

to the /etc/modules.conf file.  i wouldn't complain, but it _really_
is bad, and the setmixer binary is only about 4k.  with the post-install
line in /etc/modules.conf the user will never have to hear it again, as it
would be turned down whenever the module is loaded.

also, i couldn't find pine/pico anywhere on the debian tree.  i was
wondering if i was looking in the wrong place?  this is the mail program
linus uses, it's quite user friendly, and the only real problems i've run
into with pine were in dealing with the file-locking mechanism used by
slocal, which is something i don't think a lot of people probably use.
comments?

lastly, i live in arizona, USA.  AFAIK, we are the only state that finds
the idea of having to reset our clocks twice a year rediculous (we don't
go on daylight savings time).  but the debian installation tree doesn't
have a timezone for us.  there's Pacific and Mountain, but no Arizona.  so
twice a year, everyone from Arizona will be an hour off when the system
setup automagically resets our clocks for daylight savings time.

basically, we are just mountain time but we don't use daylight savings
time.

other than the above, i was quite impressed with the install, it looks
sharp, was really simple, and i think i'll be quite happy with it.

keep up the good work!

jeff
---
Why Linux?  source code. POSIX. tcpip. job control. support from the authors.
drivers for most hardware.  because one terminal or process is never enough.
    forget the other O/Ss, i use Linux- the choice of a gnu generation.