Re: installation notes

Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
:

:    The Packages files not always up to date.  This causes the dselect
: tool to think version X of a particular package is available from the
: ftp server, when in reality the package available is X+epsilon.  This
: causes dselect to try to retrieve a non-existing file, and it fails.
:    This in turn causes some dependencies to fail.

Yes -- so a question to all the other readers  and/or maintainers and/or
Ian:  is there (I'm sure, it is ;-) a script that scans available *.deb
files and creates the Packages file?  (Since sometime I retrieve a
updated version of a *.deb file and want dselect know of this.

:    A couple of packages are missing some of the install scripts.  For
: example sudo.  Here is the installation error.  I guess this should
: be directed to the maintainer of the sudo package?
:
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Setting up sudo ...
: dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file or directory
: dpkg: error processing sudo (--install):
:  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a quick fix:

        cd /bin
        ln -s /usr/bin/perl .

since the sudo's post-install script relies on /bin/perl ...

:
:    kerneld should be started before ANYTHING else happens, with the
: possible exception of a root filesystem check.  The reason for this

:    All in all i am very happy to have discovered the Debian
: distribution.

Me too.

Heiko
public pgp : finger heiko@sax.sax.de
fingerprint: A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92