Re: login and bash on a hardwired terminal.

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Here's the 'ls -a /usr/lib/terminfo'

Ooops, how dull of me :-)

> Why did you send me that?  The BUGS file is probably in one of those
> subdirs.  Since I don't want an ls -R /usr/lib/terminfo in my mbox,
> I'll reveal the magic incantation 'find /usr/lib/terminfo -name BUGS'.

This yields nothing. There is no BUGS file in and subs of
/usr/lib/terminfo.?

> > I looked in /etc/termcap (is this the right place?)
>
> no.  ncurses uses terminfo.

/usr/lib/termifo or /etc/terminfo? These are conciderably different.
/etc/terminfo only has a (ansi) d (dump) l (linux) s (sun) v (vtxxx) and x
(xterm...)

> > Is there any way that I can check the termtype of this process from the
> > console?
>
> cat /proc/xxx/environ | xargs -0n1
> will you show you the environment of pid xxx.  grep for TERM.

This works! It tells me that the bash running on ttyS1 is, in fact,
running with the termtype passed by getty. However, none of the termtypes
I have tried have made any difference at all! I have tried: ansi, dumb,
dg6134, and dg640-ansi with no effect at all.

I would suspect the terminal, except getty writes cleanly to the terminal.
It is only login and bash that misbehave.

Still banging my head,

Dwarf