login and bash on a hardwired terminal.

Thanks to Dirk and Guy, I got getty running on ttyS1 to a Data General
terminal (ok, ok, but I got it for free. In fact I have 6 of them) but I
still have problems.
Pressing return on the terminal causes getty to put up the login message
and prompt, just as it should. After entering a user name (getty kicks off
login) a short line of garbage that looks like it would like to say
Password but actually says:

P8^w'd

and then moves up to the previous line and prints:

dwarf (the user name)

entering the password for dwarf at this point creates a spew of reverse
video spam across several lines and eventually produces a reverse video
prompt. All input typed at the keyboard from this point on is reverse
video. Anything that I type is displayed ok on the terminal. Anything that
bash returns to the terminal is hopeless garbage.

I have tried several terminal types (setting TERM=vt100|tty does no good)

What do I need to do to get login and bash to work?

TIA,

Dwarf