Re: Must pppd be run by root?

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> OK. This tells sudo that me and root (also me) can execute anything
> on any machine. Also, everyone can execute pppd. You could of course
> clamp this down to a list of users.

or just have a ppp group and configure sudo to allow users in group ppp
executed /usr/sbin/pppd :-)

yep, your way of doing things will work.  I'm not sure if i like it
though...i'll have to think about the security ramifications of adding
several people to the sudo group.  It's brainfood anyway.

> The /etc/group entry is just to stop sudo for asking for the password
> a second time.

ah, thanks.  useful bit of info :-).  i suppose i could have found it in the
man page if i had of looked...

> For minicom, I confess that I must have set the perms to 666!

try mgetty rather than getty. it allows both dialin and dialout on the
same line (and can also receive faxes if you want).

Craig