Re: upgrading from 0.93R6 to 1.1 beta

Hi Scott

  Scott>  I assume you mean the dpkg in unstable/binary/base, since I
  Scott> couldn't find any "upgrades" directory. BTW, is there an ELF version
  Scott> of dpkg? I only saw an a.out version.

Yes, in debian/project/experimental

  Scott>  Can dftp be used instead? I'd hate to have to download the whole
  Scott> bloody 1.1 hierarchy across my 14.4 modem...

Try the dpkg-ftp method, an add-on tp dselect, by Andy Guy. If it fails, you
can harass him with a local phone in Calgary :-)

  Scott> I assume I'll need a kernel with both ELF and a.out capability, but
  Scott> I understand there are a *lot* of interdependencies with the new ELF
  Scott> libraries, etc.

dpkg takes care of that. You need access to what you find in
unstable/binary/base, though.

  Scott>  Also, is it necessary to upgrade the whole system to ELF, or can
  Scott> libc and such be upgraded while retaining the ability to run a.out
  Scott> stuff?

Very much so. You can all but two Elf progs on your box. Compile aout and
elf, just as you wish.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd