Re: smail 3.1.29.1-22 append_header="..." problem

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Gerry Jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Scott Barker wrote:
>
> > Lars Wirzenius said:
> >
> > > Don't do that.  Mail bombing is worse than junk mail.
> >
> > But it's not a bomb. You're just helping the spammer along by
> > showing him a bunch of examples of other people's junk mail :)
> > You're providing them a service, and should charge for it :)
>
> What if the spammer faked his email address.  You could be bombing a
> innocent person.

This is the reason why i haven't made my junkmail daemon widely
available.  I still think it's probably not a wise thing to do...maybe
i'll just make it available by request.

I wrote the tool primarily for myself...because I trust myself to take
the time to figure out whether the from address has been faked or not
BEFORE bouncing it to junkmail.

It should only be used by people who can read mail headers to figure out
whether the from address is legit or not.  Generally fakemail is easy to
spot, just by comparing the supposed from address with the Received-by
lines...trace the path backwards to make sure it really did come from the
site it says it does.   That won't be 100% accurate, but it's close enough
for an initial guess.

Craig