Re: New Markets

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 15.04.96 in <[🔎] m0u92O7-00063bC@mongo.pixar.com>:

> I am firmly convinced that if I filled everybody's imperative-list, the
> system would _never_ be released. We ran in that mode for a long time.

Truer words were never spoken. I like the current pace very much.

> > It's obvious that
> > the untouched source (e.g. emacs-19.30.tar.gz) should stay at debian.org
> > and its mirrors, while the package maintainer only submits
>
> Should we really be optimizing project-internal FTP bandwidth over all
> other goals? I think it would be better to create an archive containing

Not over all other goals, but I do agree that the original sources should
be packaged separate from the diffs, at least for large packages (think
X), but probably it would be good for all packages.

It's not "project-internal" FTP bandwidth only. Everyone who wants to get
source is affected.

> the source and diff, in extractable form, in a single file. The source
> would be un-modified but encapsulated inside the source package. The diff
> would be in that same package, and a single command would extract the
> source, apply the diff, and build the binary package for one or more
> architectures. That solution emphasizes maintainer convenience over

You could do the exact same thing with separate sources and diffs. And in
fact, at least for big packages, this _does_ enhance maintainer
convenience - not every maintainer has a T3 that he doesn't pay for.

With integrated source packages it would be nearly impossible for someone
like me to maintain a big package, purely because of bandwidth concerns.
(I was thinking about doing Modula-3, which has a two-digit megabyte
source. In any case, this won't happen very soon, but without keeping the
original sources separate, it won't happen ever.)

> the FTP bandwidth that the project uses. Maintainers who had a severe
> bandwidth problem could build their packages on our internal system,
> so that uploading would not be necessary. Now that I think of it, they
> could even upload only the diff, as you wish, and do everything else on
> the master system.

Now that might possibly be an idea. However, it seems like a patch for a
problem that needn't be there in the first place.

And in any case, I find the separate version more aesthetic. So there! :-)

MfG Kai