Re: Corrupt debian files on Winter 96 Archive CDs

> From: adam@adam.yggdrasil.com (Adam J. Richter)
> Subject: Corrupt debian files on Winter 96 Archive CDs
>
>  ... we will shortly make replacement CD's available to owners of
> the Winter 1996 edition of Linux Internet Archives at no cost, not
> even shipping.

I should report that I received my replacement CD from Yggdrasil and
the previous problem of corrupt files in the debian distribution is
fixed -- all the packages on the new CD uncompress correctly.

(The CD actually arrived last week, but I have been away from home so
I wasn't able to try it until today).

Incidentally, I'll say that I was impressed by how Yggdrasil and Adam
Richter dealt with this. Providing a free replacement CD was the Right
Thing to do, and they did it with no fuss.

Based on my bad experiences dealing with ``ordinary'' non-free
software companies I originally didn't hold out much hope of getting a
fix at all, especially not within about a week -- but I was very
pleasantly surprised. They exceeded my expectations.

I for one will certainly be happy to buy from Yggdrasil again.
--
Brian Gough

p.s. I notice there is now also a `checksums' file in the top level of
ftp.debian.org. This should help to prevent any corrupt files escaping
in the future.