Re: ne2000 problem

> 2) When booting (both when installing base system, and the first boot
> of my system from the newly created system disk, it gave me some
> strange messages (like this):
>
> a) tpqic02:  IRQ 5, DMA 1, IO 0x300, IFC Wangtek (some other stuff)
>    tpqic02:  Settings:  IRQ 5, DMA 1, IO 0x300
>    tpqic02:  reset failed!
>    tpqic02:  No drive detected -- releasing irq and dma

The default kernel is compiled for to support a lot of devices; this
is code from the QIC-02 tape support (which is SCSI tape AFIAK).
This message is purely informative.

> b) ide:  buggy RZ1000 interface:  disabled read-ahead

Your IDE controller appears to have a chipset with bugs; Linux appears
to work around them.

> c) ahal52x:  port test: failed
SCSI stuff. If you don't have SCSI, just ignore it.

> d) NCR53c406a: no available ports found
Dito.

> e) EATA0:  address 0x1f0 in use, skipping probe
Dito.

> Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.3.37 don't match 1.3.37

Hmmm. This is one of the more cryptic 'modules' messages.

> I don't know what this means (especiallly the last five lines).  What
> is wrong?  How can I fix it?  I have some unix and programming
> experience, but nothing to tell me what to do next.

I'm not sure I can give you useful advice hear. If you're up to it, you
could try to compile a customized kernel yourself.

Ray