Re: smarthost questions

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> I have been given the job of connecting a Novell LAN to the Internet
> and intend using a Linux box.  The question is whether I use
> Slackware or Debian?
No offense, seeing as this is the Debian place, but for hooking to a
Novell net (3.1x or 4.x) Slackware is just a tad more stable, even if you
do sacrifice all the fun stuff, along with a little more versitility.

> My Unix skills are very basic so I either use Slackware and copy the
> config files from another box to which I have access, or I use
> something that will virually configure itself.  Will Debian set it up
> for the intended role?
>
> I plan on running Mercury on the servers to give users transparent
> access to mail, so I want the smarthost to deliver mail to Mercury
> via MX records and to process outbound mail via smtp.
>
> Another problem is that I have no idea of run levels or how the thing
> initialises itself, so I will need help in getting it to dial on boot
> and redial when necessary.  Better still, point me to some info on
> booting and editing rc.*
>
> I run Debian at home but mail is broken since I installed mh,
> so I lack a certain amount of confidence here!
>
> Any help much appreciated.
Well, Just a little hint on when you accually do the connections:  Make
sure you have drivers / kernel support for everything you install.  Make
sure all the cards are compatible w/ one another AND with the
hubs/repeaters you get.  I did this same job a while back -- don't ask me
how.  I muddled through it.  But, the way I had the accual setup going was:

Internet connection --> Linux/(preferable)Slackware -- [really fast
Ethernet] --> Novell Server's new really fast ethernet card that is
supported by Novell --> All the happy users who can now surf the net.