Re: Installation help

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, T. Moore wrote:

> You must install the base system from either CD or floppy.

I got caught on this, too.  It would be _nice_ to be able to install from a
hard drive partition.  Installing the (old) base disks and then updating from
the base set of the unstable distribution broke everything because libraries
weren't set up correctly.

> I also highly recommend loadlin as the multi-os boot method. Set up
> config.sys with a menu selection (say one entry for DOS and one for
> Linux) method, set up autoexec.bat to execute loadlin for the Linux path
> and normal dos setup for the DOS path of the menu. This avoids the need
> of keeping a good bootable floppy around (I can't get one diskette to
> survive a trip into town, so I carry at least two duplicates).

What's wrong with LILO?  It's always worked well for me.  For loadlin, don't
you actually boot dos before it runs?  That isn't really necessary, and
probably opens you up to trouble from DOS viruses.

--

David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html