Re: GCC 2.7/Debian Packages/Non ELF

> I have right the same problem.  It seems to me that some of us, still
> using 0.93 for stability reasons but needing recent packages like gcc
> 2.7.x or tcl 7.4/tk 4.0, could try to build and publish a.out based
> versions of them, just to make easier the transition between 0.93 and 1.1.
> Unfortunately I don't know the exact method to do that (compile a package
> configured for elf to generate a.out) out from the source code, but I've
> heard it is possible.  Some feedback on the subject would be really useful
> as a starting point.

First off, the ELF version of Debian is already very stable.  I've
been running a mostly ELF system for several months now.  The only
tricky part is upgrading, but that has been made mostly fool-proof
with the latest round of packages and is almost ready to go into beta
testing.

If upgrading right now is not an option, you can always take the
current Debian sources and compile them for a.out.  For gcc, you'll
need to configure it as i486-linuxaout.  For Tcl/Tk, you'll need to
change the SHARED=true in Makefile.in to SHARED=false.  Finally, if
you do compile them as a.out, I strongly recommend that you configure
them with --prefix=/usr/local and install them manually so your
versions do not interfere with any prepackaged versions.

David