FTP causing segmentation fault

I have been struggling with upgrading to ELF with the unstable tree and I
am at a point where I am completely lost.

Since I managed to install and succsssfully compile an ELF kernel, I have
been getting segmentation faults and core dumps when I try to FTP any
large files to and from my machine.  I suspect that I am doing something
wrong in the kernel compliation or in the way I invoke modules but I have
tried several different approaches to the compilation and the same
problems continue.

Right now I am putting both a.out and ELF support in the kernel along
with ext2fs and msdos.  lp is loaded in by kerneld and it seems to
function correctly.  My machine is 486DX280 with 2 540 MB IDE drives and
nothing else special.  Does anyone out there have an insight to yhis
problem?

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *