Re: Side question

> One of my friends suggested a Matrox Millenium, but warned me that it wouldn't
> work with Linux (a rather severe strike against it).

Matrox distributes the binary of a Linux X server, but I think it may not
be compatible with Debian's shared libraries. I wish they'd just GPL the
source for their drivers and distribute that.

I think a PCI motherboard and unaccellerated PCI graphics card with a 100
MHz Pentium is going to be faster than most accellerated graphics cards.
That is, unless you are a heavy 3D user and are asking it to do texture-mapped
polygon rendering with hidden surfaces in real time (which is what the Matrox
is best for). A big reason for graphics card accelleration was the low
bandwidth of the ISA bus.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens <Bruce@Pixar.com> A campaigner for Clinton and against Censorship.
Toy Story: $183M and counting. At $184M it will beat the #1 movie of 1995.