Side question

Recently I returned my Velocity 64 graphics card de to a conflict with some
software I was running in DOS. So I've decided to research my replacement a
little more.

Unfortuantely, as soon as I started researching I became overloaded with
information. I realize now that I don't know how any of the latest chipsets
compare, etc.

One of my friends suggested a Matrox Millenium, but warned me that it wouldn't
work with Linux (a rather severe strike against it).

Another friend sad that Graphics cards are going to "step up" in the next
couple of months, so I should wait.

The question out of all this: Can anyone recommend a graphics card?

--Mike