Re: Still can't mount CD-ROM

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Tracy Sweat wrote:

-------8<-----
> I posted this problem to this list yesterday and received a suggestion to
> try:
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
>
> so I tried it.  Same result.  I also reinstalled twice, adding
> "linux hd1a=cdrom" at the "boot:" prompt once and "linux hdc=cdrom" once.
> Same story.
>
> I've tried installing Slackware 2.2 on my system and it does the same thing,
> except that I get a "/dev/hd1a not block device" message among all the other
> boot messages.  That's why I think my CDROM would be recognized as /dev/hd1a.
> I found out that although Slackware includes ATAPI CDROM support in the
> boot/root images that are written to disk, they don't include that same
> support in the kernel they write to your bootable floppy.  You must recompile
> the kernel in order to add that support.

I checked the /dev of Debian, Red Hat and Slackware 3.0. All of
them have hd devices following the scheme I posted earlier. No
device hd1a anywhere in sight. All three distributions come with
kernels that know about ATAPI, no need to recompile just to get
your CD-ROM drive going.

However, you didn't tell exactly what make of drive you are using.
Generally it's good to have the CD-ROM as the only drive on an ide
channel, jumpered as master. That's the way I have it: two hd's on
primary (hda/hdb), CD-ROM on secondary (hdc). But I know of one
exception, a brand new Philps 6x, refusing to cooperate if it isn't
slave to an hd. So if all else fails, you might try redistributing
the drives over the ide's...

 #  sbolt@xs4all.nl  #   Steven Bolt   #  popular science monthly KIJK  #