Re: Can metamail be disabled in elm?

>From: Carl V Streeter <streeter@cae.wisc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Can metamail be disabled in elm?
>To: david@elo.ods.com (David Engel)
>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:39:47 -0600 (CST)
>Cc: debian-user@Pixar.com
>
>David Engel writes:
>>
>> Short of recompiling, does anyone know how to disable the use of
>> metamail in elm?
>
>Let me guess, you want to be able to see messages? ;)
>
>I looked at the behavior without metamail installed, and it sucks.  If I
>had to guess there's no way around this short of some more hacking of elm on
>my part.
>
>I like elm except for the fact that it doesn't lend itself well to
>maintaining one distributed binary.
>
>I could make it depend on metamail, but I think that that's the wrong
>solution ;)

Ah! A good example of what I meant in an earlier post about compile-time vs. configure-time
options and how some way to handle this is needed.  How hard would it be to have a
set of debianized-source that was in a package such that when you set up a package the
config scripts would 1) put your config stuff in the right places in the source code
and then 2) compile the source code into binaries and install the binaries in the right place?

That would be cool, eh Beavis?
Yah! Yah! heh heh..

 --Zachary