Re: Integrating local changes

Michael Shields writes ("Integrating local changes"):
> (a) How would dpkg react when a package contains configuration files for
>     other package(s)?  It would be nice if I could create a new server
>     just by installing a stack of Debian packages and a locally
>     generated package consisting of configuration files.

dpkg will not react well.  I'd recommend creating a local package that
modifies the config files without telling dpkg about it.  That way
dpkg (and the rest of the system) will see your configuration as part
of what `the sysadmin' has done and try to leave it alone.

> (b) Is there a way to create, say, an `emacs-local' package that
>     conflicts with `emacs'?  Could I make `emacs' a virtual package?  Or
>     should I just keep calling it `emacs' and use a different version?
>     (Emacs is just an example; more likely I'd be replacing /bin/login
>     or inetd or other system software.)

Yes, no problem.  Just create a package that contains the appropriate
stuff in its control file (see our packaging Guidelines).

> (c) I can create a local package (so as not to have files on the system
>     not under dpkg control), but what is a clean way to add it to the
>     list of available packages?

After using the `Update list of available packages' option in dselect,
say
 dpkg --avail <filename>.deb
and it'll be there.  Alternatively you could use dpkg-scanpackages (in
recent versions of dpkg) or some such to create a modified Packages
file, and use dpkg --merge-avail or dpkg --update-avail on it.

Ian.