Re: xconsole messages

>     Guy> On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     >> What is the advantage of making a named pipe and going through
>     >> all that when it works fine in this straightforward manner?
>
>     Guy> 1. You'll hit the filesystem less.  Since you don't have a
>     Guy> '-' before the file, syslogd does a sync after every write.
>     Guy> If you do put the '-' in, you won't see the messages till the
>     Guy> next time those buffers get flushed; that kind of takes away
>     Guy> the whole point of running xconsole.
>
>  I don't understand.  I see the messages that syslogd writes to
> /dev/console right away, no waiting.  I didn't do anything special to
> make that happen.

Right, because, as Guy Maor said, after every write syslogd does a
sync, which flushes all buffers among other things.  The reason suslogd
does a sync is to make sure that the message gets written out as soon
as possible.

--
     Buddha Buck                   phaedrus@future.dreamscape.com
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were