segementation fault in xboard

Can anyone tell me the steps I should take to determine and correct the
cause of the following problem. (if this is documented please let me know)

I just downloaded gnuchess and xboard  from debian, and installed it using
dselect.  The progam (xboard)  will not execute when I am "root" (I don't
normally play games as root, but I thought this was interesting) When I
try to run it as a user I get a "segmentation fault".

	Everything on my system is from the "stable" directory.  I am
using fvwm as a window manager.  I tried running xboard without a
chessprogram, and also in ics mode. The results are the same.  Running
linux suggests using gdb to examine the core file.  Is that really a
practical sugestion?